Monday, March 16, 2009

To Dish, or Not To Dish?

I love my husband dearly. He is always helping me out around the house without me even having to ask. Which is why I hesitate to even blog about this... but I can't help myself. I also love to pick on him whenever I can. So I decided to take a poll from our readers regarding a little disagreement we had (if you're getting this via email or via notes on Facebook, you will have to click on the link to go straight to the blog if you want to participate in the poll).

Not too long ago I noticed my husband hadn't washed out the sink before cleaning the dishes in it. I asked him about it and his reply was, "What does it matter? You're cleaning the dishes in dirty water anyway." I was a little flabbergasted and didn't know how to reply.

Here's my nit picky way of doing dishes:
  • Put away all previously cleaned and dry dishes. Place fresh towel down for new dishes (we don't have a dish strainer because we like to have that counter space available if need be).
  • Rinse and place all dishwasher safe dishes into dishwasher.
  • Rinse food off all other dishes and set on opposite side of counter.
  • Thoroughly run garbage disposal and wash out sink with cleanser and pre-designated sink sponge.
  • Fill up left side of sink with water and dish soap. Proceed to wash, rinse, and neatly stack dishes to produce best drying (I'm usually too lazy to dry the dishes with a towel and put them away the same night).
Jake's dish stacking

How I might have done it
(I just did this for the sake of the picture, normally I wouldn't touch them, I promise!)

I don't expect Jake to do the dishes exactly like I do them... I mean, is there a wrong way to do dishes? But some things that just seem like common sense to me are tedious and silly to him. So, without further ado, please vote in the poll above!

3 comments:

Cholla Needles said...

LOL!!! Think over the perfectionist mode and you'll realize that if you ever worked at a restaurant - you'd never eat out again for the rest of your life.

What's that old whistling song? Hmmm

Don't Worry - Be Happy.

One small word of "life" advice. If you don't want help with the housework - be picky about it.

Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Erin...you crack me up. Now I don't feel so bad about whining and then blogging over Esteban losing a baby sock.

But this made me smile in a moment I needed to.

Afraid, Dad's advice (hi Richard) is right on...zip it and roll your eyes when Jake's not looking! It's the hardest thing to learn how to do, but you get used to it.

LOL. Luv ya!
amber

Anonymous said...

Dude, lol. Mom used to come over when I was washing dishes in Sabinal and just HAD to tell me what she would do differently. It used to piss me off. You're pulling a mom :)


Visit My Writing Blog

It's Couch Time!

It's Couch Time!
Check out books and movies Mamatoosi and others have been critiquing!